Does the home building and land development industry have a code of ethics?
This code lays out BILD GTA’s core values and mandate and outlines the standards of professional behaviour for our members to maintain the highest levels of ethical standards across our industry.
BILD Code of Ethics
Members of the Building Industry and Land Development Association shall:
- Plan their projects to conform to the principles of good community planning and support for the environment.
- Deal justly with their employees, subcontractors, and suppliers of all goods and services.
- Deal honestly and fairly with their customers and stand behind the quality of their work and service commitments.
- Exchange information and experience, and encourage research on materials, technical advancements and building techniques in order to provide the best value for their customers.
- Avoid all conduct or practice detrimental to the land development and building industry, to the Association, to the good name or reputation of any of its members, or its customers.
- Commit to continuing learning through human resource policies and practices, including employment practices which treat employees as assets.
- Actively promote health and safety principles.
- Comply with applicable building codes of Canada as a minimum standard for construction and shall work toward its improvement in the interests of structural sufficiency, safety and health.
- Treat their competitors, including their property and ideas, with respect.
Abiding by the code of ethics is a condition of membership in BILD, the Ontario Home Builders Association and the Canadian Home Builders Association.